Event Planning Tools
Thank you for your interest in hosting a fundraising event for the WVU Cancer Institute. As West Virginia’s premier cancer facility, the Cancer Institute at WVU is paving the way and making extraordinary advancements in research, education, and patient care. With over 100 faculty members from eight schools and 33 departments across the WVU Campus, the interdisciplinary environment provides state-of-the-art care to patients across West Virginia and around the world.
Did you know?
- The Cancer Institute has more than 40,000 patient visits per year.
- The Cancer Institute conducts research in over 60 labs.
- There are more than 11,000 new cases of cancer diagnosed in West Virginia every year.
- Prostate Cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men.
- 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in West Virginia.
- The cost of a phosphorimager is $150,000. This equipment is used by researchers to detect the presence of certain molecules in cancer cells to determine whether a drug treatment is having any impact on the cells.
- The Cancer Institute is increasing both clinical providers and physical space to meet the needs in the state. The expansion effort includes recruiting 38 new cancer specialists by 2020 as well as increasing space for patient care.
- The Foundation’s federal tax id or exempt certificate is for Foundation use only.
- All planning, execution, and endorsements of the event must be handled by the organizer, not the Foundation.
- Published materials related to the fundraising event may state that the net proceeds of the event will be contributed to the XYZ fund of the Foundation.
- Please like our page on Facebook and follow us on Instagram and Twitter (#wvucancer @wvucancer) so that we can like/tweet/share your event content. When you post to Facebook, make sure the privacy is set to public so that we can share that to our page.
- If you choose to use our logo, please make sure that it is clear that you are doing the fundraiser to benefit the WVU Cancer Institute. We can’t endorse a specific business.
- Volunteer/community event expenses must be processed without the Foundation’s involvement.
- The WVU Foundation cannot process any credit/debit card transactions for the event.
- The organizer is responsible for all event expenses. If event expenses exceed event revenues, neither West Virginia University, its affiliates, nor the WVU Foundation, will be held liable to pay these expenses.
- Note: Volunteer/Community event host/organizers should have a well-thought-out budget and follow the IRS 70/30 guidance on limiting expenses to 30% of the total revenues raised.
- The organizer is responsible for any acknowledgment to be sent prior to the event.
- This includes sponsors and those who donate gifts in kind (auction items).
- The organizer will send one final check for the net proceeds of the event payable to the WVU Foundation and sent to Advancement Services.
- The organizing group will receive a receipt for the net amount.
- The organizer/venue host must complete a WVUF-HSC Office of Philanthropy Third Party Fundraising and Liability Release Agreement.
- How you decide to raise donations at the event is up to you. Please keep in mind we can’t endorse or promote any specific businesses or organizations so we won’t be able to include those details in any post-event press releases or announcements from the Institute.
- We would love to have a photo or 2 to use in a press release after your event. We do ask that they contain no visible vulgar language or gestures, no visible alcohol or tobacco products, etc. The more compelling the photo the easier it is for us to use it. And, of course, we need permission to post it from everyone in any photos you share with us.
- Last but not least: We are very happy you are interested in helping us and hope that you have a wonderful and fun event!